OWC Flex 1U4 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 Storage Array (3 x 18TB HDDs + 1 x 1TB SSD
The 55TB Flex 1U4 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 Storage Array from OWC / Other World Computing is a flexible storage, docking, and PCIe expansion solution for rackmount use. Compatible with macOS 10.15, 11.x, and 12.x, the Flex 1U4 features a storage capacity of 55TB, which is split between three 18TB 7200 rpm SATA 3.5" hard drives and a 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, with the SSD being housed in an OWC U2 Shuttle One, which is a 2.5" U.2 NVMe enclosure. Connectivity to your host system is established using a 40 Gb/s Thunderbolt 3 port, which supports data transfers of up to 5000 MB/s. Daisy-chain five additional devices or add a second display to a second Thunderbolt 3 port, while two 10 Gb/s USB Type-C ports, three 10 Gb/s USB Type-A ports, and one DisplayPort 1.4 port provide additional connectivity options. Further expansion methods, such as audio/video capture cards, 10Gb Ethernet, SSD storage, a hardware RAID, or other I/O card, can be used via the PCIe 3.0 x16/x4 slot.
If you'd like to upgrade or replace the storage in your Flex 1U4, the drive bays natively support 2.5" and 3.5" SATA drives, as well as 2.5" and 3.5" U.2 drives. SAS drives are supported with an SAS drive controller (sold separately) and M.2 drives are supported using an M.2 to U.2 adapter, such as the OWC U2 Shuttle and OWC U2 ShuttleOne (sold separately). Also, the Flex 1U4 may be used on Macs with Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt ports via an adapter (sold separately), but this will not support notebook charging via Thunderbolt.
Rack Up Workflow Flexibility
Ideal for Rackmounting Environments
- In School: perfect for taming ever-growing collections of digital files with easy integration and future drive capacity and performance scalability.
- At Work: adds Thunderbolt speed and swappable drives to server closets, server rooms, or colocation center backup capabilities.
- On Stage: handles all the storage and peripheral connectivity needs "front of house" pros require for live performances.
- On Set: easily fits into mobile DIT carts to capture multi-stream, hi-res footage at full framerate while daisy-chaining up to five additional Thunderbolt devices.
- In Studio: expands storage and connectivity options of fixed racks.
- At Home: great for installers creating a high-performance home entertainment server closet.
Do It U.2 It
A Complete Swap and Share Ecosystem
- OWC U2 ShuttleOne: Convert an NVMe M.2 "blade" style SSD into a swappable 2.5" U.2 SSD with the peace of mind that your drive. and its content, are protected by the full metal, heat dissipating adapter.
- OWC U2 Shuttle: Combine four NVMe M.2 SSDs into a 3.5" U.2 carrier shuttle to create a swappable, massive capacity RAID solution.
- OWC Helios 3S with Interchange System: Create an external Thunderbolt powered set to post U.2 solution that safeguards your data while lowering shipping costs.
- OWC Mercury Pro U.2 Dual: Put blazing fast Thunderbolt powered storage and backup on a desktop with a compact two bay footprint that can use U2 ShuttleOne and U2 Shuttles.
- OWC ThunderBay Flex 8: Take control of your media workflow with a 3-in-1 Thunderbolt storage, docking, and PCIe expansion desktop solution. Easily swaps U2 ShuttleOne and U2 Shuttles to/from the Flex 1U4.
Ready to Rack
RAID Made Easy
SoftRAID provides a level of storage performance that you simply can't get with hardware RAID and is ideal for anyone who needs to safely store and backup massive amounts of data, including educational institutions, government agencies, businesses, content creators, and M%26E professionals. If you need even more power and flexibility, you can upgrade to SoftRAID Pro to spread volumes over two or more disk enclosures.
Certified for Demanding Use
Secure Your Connections
- Up to two 4K displays at 60 Hz
- One 8K display at 60 Hz
- One 4K display at 120 Hz
- One 5K display at 60 Hz
Display Support by Port
- Thunderbolt 3: up to 8K at 60 Hz or 4K at 120 Hz via a native Thunderbolt 3 display or other display that supports USB Type-C connections and DisplayPort 1.4
- DisplayPort 1.4: up to 8K at 60 Hz or 4K at 120 Hz
- One Thunderbolt 3 port with 85W of power delivery
- One Thunderbolt 3 port with 15W of power delivery
- Two USB Type-C ports with 15W of power delivery
- Four bays supporting 2.5" SATA drives, 3.5" SATA drives, 2.5" U.2 drives, 3.5" U.2 drives, M.2 drives (with an M.2 to U.2 adapter), 2.5" SAS drives (with a SAS drive controller card), and 3.5" SAS drives (with a SAS drive controller card)
- Bays 1-2 each support PCIe x4, while bays 3-4 support PCIe x1
|Box Contents||OWC 55TB Flex 1U4 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 Storage Array (3 x 18TB HDDs + 1 x 1TB SSD) Thunderbolt Cable (2.3 ft / 0.7m) Rackmounting Hardware for 18-26" Racks and Cabinets SoftRAID Software Bundle SoftRAID XT User Guide|
|Cable Length||2.3 ft / 0.7 m|
|Certifications||BSMI, CE, FCC, RCM, VCCI, as per Manufacturer|
|Dimensions||18 x 16.9 x 1.7" / 45.6 x 43 x 4.4 cm|
|Form Factor||Rackmount (1 RU)|
|Operating Humidity||8 to 90% (Non-Condensing)|
|OS Compatibility||2022: check with manufacturer for the most up-to-date compatibility, macOS 12macOS 11macOS 10.15*As of April|
|Power Source||AC Adapter|
|PSU Wattage||1 x 300 W|
|Rotational Speed||7200 rpm|
|Storage Temperature||-40 to 149ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ°F / -40 to 65ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ°C|
|Warranty||Limited 5-Year Warranty|
Enjoy Free Standard Shipping on order of $50 or more to all state except Alaska, Hawai and Puerto Rico. See full Shipping Policies.
Most unopened items sold by Melrose Inc. in new condition and returned within 30 days will receive a refund or exchange. The return window for items sold online begins once the order has been invoiced. Invoicing happens when any part of the order is shipped, delivered by a courier service or made ready for pick up. See full Return Policy.